- for children and adolescents
- available in Dutch and English
- covers 6 anger response/coping strategies: direct anger-out (aggressive response), avoidance (passive/suppressing response, similar to traditional "anger-in"), assertion (adaptive response, constructively expressing anger or solving angering event), diffusion (adaptive response, deflecting anger to another stimulus or activity), social support-seeking (adaptive response, finding support from a friend or relative), rumination (tendency to repeatedly deliberate over anger cause)
- 37 items
- item response format: likert scale, state degree to which each item is true when feeling angry (1 = not true, 2 = sometimes true, 3 = often true)
- validation of BARQ-C: good internal consistency & acceptable construct validity
- BARQ-C based on original BARQ for adults (Linden et al, 2003), which aims to represent anger more comprehensively than traditional scales focusing on 'extreme' coping styles only.
Publications about BARQ-C
Miers, A.C., Rieffe, C., Meerum Terwogt, M., Cowan, R. & Linden, W. (2007). The relation between anger coping strategies, anger mood and somatic complaints in children and adolescents. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 35, 653-664.
Download BARQ-C pdfs here:
Behavioural Anger Response Questionnaire - children [English]
Behavioural Anger Response Questionnaire - children [Dutch]
You can download the syntax for the BARQ-C here. For more info please refer to our FAQs.